Retrieving your domain's authorization code from namecheap¶
Retrieving your auth key or EPP code from namecheap allows you to move your domain name registration. You might want to do that if namecheap is unresponsive, or difficult to reach in an emergency.
To start, understand that moving your domain registration should be seamless. There should be no impact to your hosting services. This process should be relatively trouble free.
Namecheap EPP code Exemptions¶
Some domain TLDs do not require authorization codes. These include first and foremost, .uk, .bz, .cc, .gd, .im, .tc, .tel, .tv, .vg, and .ws — you can review the epp code exemptions here if needed.
Unlock your domain
Before you can transfer a domain, you'll need to unlock it. The instructions below should assist with that.
Getting your auth key from namecheap¶
- Navigate to your namecheap myaccount dashboard
- Log into your NameCheap Manage Domains section.
- Click on the domain name you wish to be transferred.
- The Modify Domain screen will appear. Select Registrar Lock from the left sidebar menu.
- Since your domain should already be unlocked in the previous step, click on the Get EPP code link on the same screen.
- In the form that appears enter the domain name to be transferred and your account password to authenticate yourself.
- Click on the Get EPP code for my domain button. The authorization code will be sent to the Admin email address.